Is it Too Late? : Aaliyah Music & Legacy




Google Images: Aaliyah, 2001

I was listening to a music podcast earlier in the week and there was a segment where the hosts of the show ask the question would anyone be interested in new music from Aaliyah? The general answer amongst the host was a no. Fears of music sounding dated and the fact there is a whole new generation.

Me personally I would love to hear some unreleased music from Aaliyah's music catalog. Here is the thing I am bias, I am not a casual fan, I am an avid fan. I grew up on her music, I felt a big loss in music when she passed away. But that is just me, so I am always going to want to hear some new music from her catalog.

However it has to have the right production behind it, back in 2012 when Drake and his producer 40 Shebib released an unreleased Aaliyah track "Enough Said" I loved it, I thought it was dope. Then there was talk of a possible full Aaliyah album produced by Drake and his team. Well that came to abrupt end due to conflict with family no consigning on the project and fans not feeling the idea of Drake producing the project.

If anyone have ever listened to her last album the self titled "Aaliyah" aka Red Album (As I call it) Enough said would have fit perfectly on that album. That possibly could have been a dope ass project. But I respect why it didn't go as far as It could on the side of her family not wanting to release an album. In reality she is not here to promote the music.

We are now in the streaming world of music and it does not help that Aaliyah albums isn't on Apple music, Spotify only has the first album and a few singles from it, Tidal I believe it is the same deal. Here is the thing fans young and old are not feeling that, unless you go to YouTube and have the time to collect all her music from that platform. That is pretty much the best way to get it by streaming or you can go to your local music stores and online to purchase the physical copy.

Now when the host of the podcast said it is now a new generation, they are absolutely right. However this new generation is keeping her name alive online. They are the ones who has the Aaliyah Instagram, Tumblr, Facebook and Twitter pages. This new generation are the ones who is frustrated with her uncle Barry Hankerson for not releasing all her music to the streaming sites. In 2017 Aaliyah face is seen on T-Shirts, clothing lines are being created and inspired by her trail blazing style from the 90's.

There is a an Aaliyah perfume, there was a petition for M.A.C make up to come out with an Aaliyah line. I recently seen a fan made trailer for an Aaliyah documentary. Even though music consumption is different, there is still interest in her music and legacy. The farce of the biopic of her life made by lifetime, even the jokes the meme and all people still watched it.

So with that being said, there are people who are still interested in Aaliyah music out there, how would  an Aaliyah album sound in 2017? We may never know, like I said before it has to have the right production behind it. If Timbaland is the one to produce it, his beats would have to be out of this world.

I would lowkey love to hear Aaliyah voice over a Pharrell production, I am just saying anyways that just my thoughts..........

Stay tuned in the month of August, my radio show Don't Disturb This Groove! will have a special Aaliyah episode........And won't just be the hits either, updates coming soon!!!!!!

Comments

Popular Posts