Skip to main content

Great Albums 1996: Outkast - Atliens

Image result for outkast atliens

Google Images: Outkast Atliens 1996

August 27th 1996 Outkast releases second album "Atliens"

As the series on 1996 albums continues, a time where it was heavy in the east vs west coast beef  during a dark period in the genre. There was duo from the south, Atlanta GA that its. This duo  was busy focusing on planting their flag on the land called hip-hop. An album that rose from the bottom of the map and became an a very influential album of the times.

Outkast released their second album on August 27th 1996, the same day Aaliyah dropped her second album as well. 1996 released some heavy hitters from the genres of R&B and Hip Hop. Outkast definitely showed up to play. Like many of us who loved hip-hop and grew up either in the north east or the west coast. Some of us was busy taking sides, either you was down with the east coast boys Bad Boy (Biggie) or you were a down with the homies from the west, Death Row (Tupac).

These was some heavy times my friends, but hip-hop kept on going and Outkast brought us some heat with there sophomore effort "Atliens". Two years earlier we experienced some tough rhymes and word play from their debut album"Southernplayalisticadilliacmuzik". Atliens continue on with tradition,  However this time around the aesthetics were different from the duo, their style was more was of a New York swag. This time around we see a change in style, no more kangols, jersey or baseball caps from Dre later on known as Andre 3000.

We see the rise of  the turbines and dashikis shirts sported by  Dre, and the smooth pimp swag  style from Big Boi. There was a change in their style and also a change in the tones of their rhymes from being play boys from the south. To more introspective thoughts, futuristic themes, out of this world in their rhymes on the second LP.  

The album cover is an illustration of a comic book cover and the theme of the album is that Big Boi and Dre are aliens in a land of Atlanta making their own way. In the video for from first single "Elevators" a young man could be seen reading the atliens comic book in the video. And the future comic book type vibe could be heard through out this album. 

Second single "Atliens" comes with the outer space vibe and southern playa type rhymes meshed together. Big Boi and Dre ride the hell the out of this beat, they have a flow like no other. When you think of southern hip-hop, it is more laid back, depending on the artist, lyrics may seem a little relaxed no too much in depth.

Outkast was the exact opposite, they still made the music that made you want to groove,  but also have  you sitting there thinking like what did Dre just say? or oh wow Big Boi!  And that is what I remember most about this album: Take this verse from Dre"True I got more fans the average man , but not enough to last me, to the end of week, I live by the beat, like you live from the check to check, if you don't move your feet then I don't eat, so we like neck to neck" - Dre Verse from Elevators*

At that point I heard the difference in both artist on the same track and through the out album both rappers gives the listener two different perspectives but at the same time they are talking about the same thing. Atliens opens Big Boi and Dre up to be what we now know them as which is good lyricists.

The album boasted three singles "Elevators, Atliens, and Jazzy Belle"  Outkast would go on to become very successful and eventually creating the diamond selling 2004 "The Speakerboxx/Love below album. Sealing the duo as one of the best selling hip -hop groups in  history. Their debut was good but Atliens open up a world and lived up to name Oukast.

Definitely highly recommend check out this 20 yr old LP

Spotify : OutKast - Atliens 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Red Album: Aaliyah Last Album Turns Fifteen

Image Source Google- Aaliyah album cover
Pre 911 July 2001 I was twenty years old and boy that was an interesting year, to say the least. And as always  my summer tradition I made my trip to the local record store. During this month one of my all time favorite artist was releasing their third album which went to become a forever favorite of mine and is on my lifetime music playlist
On July 17th 2001, Aaliyah released her third and final self titled "Aaliyah" after a five year full album hiatus from her second album one in a million. At the time she had finally released a full album, of course to hold the fans over. We had the singles from the movie soundtracks  such as 1998 Doctor Do Little  SDTK "Are You That Somebody?"  and in 2000 Romeo Must Die SDTK, "Try Again, I Don't Wanna, Come Back In One Piece and are you Feeling Me?.
It was an exciting time for Aaliyah it was a year after a successful movie and soundtrack, she had entered into legal adulthood She w…

What's Going On?

Google Images: Devastation from Bomb Attack in Mogadishu, Somalia

I may talk about music and culture, It is my way to ease the pain with all the things I see going on in this world. But it is too much to ignore, last weekend there was bomb explosion in Mogadishu, Somalia. As of right now it has been reported that 300 lives has been lost due the terrorist attack.

I do my best to keep up with what is going on, whether it's in pop culture, local or national news. And with this recent terrorist attack. The one thing I don't see flooding up and down my time lines on my social media feed. Is  #PrayForSomalia, that is something that is very scarce across the feeds. But I bet your bottom dollar I can see the endless memes of bitches not being shit and its numerous likes.

That goes without fail, I posted a few links about this horrific incident and all I have heard is crickets. If I posted a joke and made fun of reality star. It would have been likes and comments galore. I am not tell…

1997 Part II

Google Images: Micheal S. Smith Photography, Seneca Vocational H.S.
I was sixteen years old in 1997, music was life back then for me, and in that year I needed it more then ever, My freshmen year of high school was 1996 - 1997 and during that school year I was at a school I did not want to be at. In the city of Buffalo at that time, during 8th grade year students had to pick the top choices of the high school they wanted to go to. It was all based on grades during 7th grade year and first grade quarter of 8th grade.

Math was my weakest subject, and the schools that I chose at the time a student had to excel well in the area of math. And me not being on my A game it caused me to loose out on all of my choices of the schools I wanted to attend. So in fall of 1996 I was at my district school. While all my Jr. high friends was at the school of their choices living the high life.

I had to make a daily trip to south Buffalo, a place I did not want to be, what kept me calm to and from schoo…