Skip to main content

Black Music Month: 1995 Edition

Black Music Month 1995 Edition



Album covers from Google Images


Ah yes I am back for the zillion-th time, hey life is a busy and that is a good thing. Any who we are entering into the sixth month of the year (boy time is flying). Not only is it the month of June and summer is approaching. It’s also my favorite month outside of birthday month March, its black music month folks that time of year when I go hard at the music store and on line.

The origin of black music month was declared by former president Jimmy Carter on June 7th 1979, our current president Barack Obama renamed it African American Music Appreciation Month: AAMAM, me personally I still dig black music month sorry Barry. In the 21st century BMM is not what it used to be and it terribly sad in my eyes at least. The appreciation of any genre of music does not get the love it used to. Now that we can stream music on our latest gadget, whether it be a phone, PC, tablet, IPod or anything that can connect via AUX, WIFI or Bluetooth.

Coming up in the 80’s and 90’s I was heavy into the teen magazines, I use to love to pick up a Right On!, Word up, The source, Vibe, YO! Fly, Fresh, YSB and even my mom’s ebony, essence and jet magazines during the month of June. Because each magazine did a black music month special issue. In those days If Jodeci, Aaliyah, Brandy and whoever else was on the cover I got it. There use to be special features on certain artist’s that may not have been in the magazines during the rest of year. There would be extra posters in the black music month editions as well

Times has change especially in the world of urban music and publications, this time a year twenty years ago albums in the genre of R&B, Hip, hop, gospel and Jazz were promoted very heavily in the month of June. I can talk you all day about music in the 90’s during the summer time. But in this particular piece, I want to talk about the summer of 1995. I can honestly say that summer a lot of cassettes and singles were purchased by yours truly.

Here is some of my favorite albums and singles that I loved and adored during the summer of 1995:
Micheal Jackson – HIStory: Past, Present and future
Groove Theory- Groove Theory
Monica- Miss Thang
Raekwon feat Ghost face – Only Built for Cuban links
Tupac – Me against the world
Jodeci – The Show, The hotel, The After party
Soul for real – Soul for Real
The Pharcyde – Labcabincalifornia
Bone thugs & Harmony – E. 1999 Eternal
D’Angelo – Brown Sugar
The Show – Soundtrack
AZ- Doe or Die

Singles:
Brownstone – Grapevine
Soul for real – Every little thing you do
Subway – Fire
Aaliyah – Age aint nothing but a number
Montell Jordan – This is how do it
TLC – Water falls
Notorious B.I.G – One more chance remix
Method man & Mary J Blige – You’re all that I need remix
Groove Theory – Tell me
Boyz II Men – Water runs dry
Micheal Jackson – You are not alone
All for one – I can love you like that
Jodeci – Freak N You
Brandy – Best Friend
D’Angelo – Brown Sugar


1995 was a great summer for urban music, I have some magazines and of course music from that ERA, I was just ordinary fourteen year old teenage girl who loved her music. Now I am thirty four year old woman who still loves music, until next time happy black music month



Vibe Black Music Edition/Summer Special: The King himself Michael Jackson.....R.I.P 
(Google Images)

Summer of 1995 Theme song: AZ feat Miss Jones - Sugar hill (Video from Youtube)
This song reminds me of quarter waters and grant hill sneakers.......






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Red Album: Aaliyah Last Album Turns Fifteen

Image Source Google- Aaliyah album cover
Pre 911 July 2001 I was twenty years old and boy that was an interesting year, to say the least. And as always  my summer tradition I made my trip to the local record store. During this month one of my all time favorite artist was releasing their third album which went to become a forever favorite of mine and is on my lifetime music playlist
On July 17th 2001, Aaliyah released her third and final self titled "Aaliyah" after a five year full album hiatus from her second album one in a million. At the time she had finally released a full album, of course to hold the fans over. We had the singles from the movie soundtracks  such as 1998 Doctor Do Little  SDTK "Are You That Somebody?"  and in 2000 Romeo Must Die SDTK, "Try Again, I Don't Wanna, Come Back In One Piece and are you Feeling Me?.
It was an exciting time for Aaliyah it was a year after a successful movie and soundtrack, she had entered into legal adulthood She w…

What's Going On?

Google Images: Devastation from Bomb Attack in Mogadishu, Somalia

I may talk about music and culture, It is my way to ease the pain with all the things I see going on in this world. But it is too much to ignore, last weekend there was bomb explosion in Mogadishu, Somalia. As of right now it has been reported that 300 lives has been lost due the terrorist attack.

I do my best to keep up with what is going on, whether it's in pop culture, local or national news. And with this recent terrorist attack. The one thing I don't see flooding up and down my time lines on my social media feed. Is  #PrayForSomalia, that is something that is very scarce across the feeds. But I bet your bottom dollar I can see the endless memes of bitches not being shit and its numerous likes.

That goes without fail, I posted a few links about this horrific incident and all I have heard is crickets. If I posted a joke and made fun of reality star. It would have been likes and comments galore. I am not tell…

1997 Part II

Google Images: Micheal S. Smith Photography, Seneca Vocational H.S.
I was sixteen years old in 1997, music was life back then for me, and in that year I needed it more then ever, My freshmen year of high school was 1996 - 1997 and during that school year I was at a school I did not want to be at. In the city of Buffalo at that time, during 8th grade year students had to pick the top choices of the high school they wanted to go to. It was all based on grades during 7th grade year and first grade quarter of 8th grade.

Math was my weakest subject, and the schools that I chose at the time a student had to excel well in the area of math. And me not being on my A game it caused me to loose out on all of my choices of the schools I wanted to attend. So in fall of 1996 I was at my district school. While all my Jr. high friends was at the school of their choices living the high life.

I had to make a daily trip to south Buffalo, a place I did not want to be, what kept me calm to and from schoo…