Sneaker madness II

 http://www.cheapsjordanswm.com/images/mens%20jordans/Nike%20Air%20Jordan%2012%20Shoes%20Men%27s%20Grade%20AAA%20Black%20Red.jpg

 Image from Google: Spring 1997 my classmates skipped school for these very same sneakers.

Wale just recently released his new CD called "The Album About Nothing" based off the Steinfield show, and he been on the promo run doing interviews. He did a recent radio Interview and the DJ brought up a question about his song "White Shoes" and Wale then went on to explain the song and he said something and it struck a nerve. He said when he was coming up in DC, everyone was getting free lunch in school, but everyone had on Jordan's.

And when he said that I had to sit and pause for a moment, I was a going through my teenage years around the same time period Wale was and even though he was in DC and I was in Buffalo. I had those same thoughts many of my classmates wore the Jordan's, cross colors etc but we was all walking through that lunch line and no register was ringing. As far I can remember growing  up in the inner city, kids around the way had the latest fashion item and I could never understand for the life me why was that so.

Spring 1997 I was a freshmen in high school and on the last day before spring break, school was looking rather empty. Well some students was out because it was the last day before break, but the majority was out because they were skipping school to get the latest pairs of Jordan's (Micheal Jordan sneakers) and also on that day the last CD from Notorious B.I.G came out as well. Later that day kids was rolling into class to finish up the remainder of the school day. And It seem that every one was rocking a black and red pair of sneakers on that day in 1997.

I totally wanted a pair, for one I like Jordan he was the man at the time, two the color way was bad ass, three I probably would have felt more secure about what was on my feet. Sad but true, I wore name brand sneakers, but there were more on the lower end as far a pricing goes like the thirty-fifty dollar range. And don' t get me wrong I loved whatever I could get in those days. But sometimes like many kids it would have been nice to get the Jordan's, Barkley, Ewing, The Pumps etc. But my Moms couldn't afford to higher tier of sneakers and if she could she still wouldn't have paid that much for a pair of sneakers.

For as long as I could remember I was a what they call a sneaker head as I got older I was able to purchase my own sneakers and for the most part is felt good. But now these days sneakers are a culture of there own, everyone from athletes to rap artist like Kanye West has their own shoes. Air Jordan's are still the most popular shoes out. So popular that young people have lost their lives over them. And as much as I love sneakers I never thought that it was that serious to harm or take someone life over a pair a sneakers that is released over and over again.

When I learned that sneakers company was releasing the same sneakers again and again, I started spending my money on necessities like bills, food and putting money away. Same sneakers are not going anywhere, I'll get them when I can, those same sneakers that kids was skipping school for in 97, eighteen years later kids are getting killed over the same exact pair of sneakers. Now that I am older I can sit look back and think to what my mother told me, she said and I quote,

"I am not going to go out there and sell drugs so you can have a expensive pair of sneakers, what I am going to do is to make sure you have somewhere to live, somewhere to eat and have a home cooked meal and make sure you leave this house with clean clothes on your back, that what I am going to do"--- Denise Daniels

If more parents could drill these words into their kids head, we might better off in the world.....Just my thoughts, by the way if your wondering whats on my feet, I am currently rocking a pair of low top royal blue Chuck Taylors.

Carry on Wale.....

Youtube: Wale White Shoes:






Comments