A Stream Deferred.....


 http://tidal.com/images/tidal-share.9d1c0023.png
All Images from Google

March 29th, Jay Z and few notable artist such as Beyonce, Kanye West, J.Cole, Madonna,  and Nicki Minaj held a press conference for a relaunch of music streaming service Tidal. A Swedish owned company bought out by the jigga man aka Jay Z.  The significance of this relaunch of the streaming service is a epic day in music because its owned by artists. Now this have seemed to ruffle quite a few feathers among listeners of music and I do understand the grumblings that is currently going on

Streaming services and music apps are nothing new, so let me explain a few

Itunes: My personal fave, created by Apple, a music application that allows you to purchase albums from the Itunes music store. Also you can create a music playlist from your own personal collection, upload CD's, burn CD's. And your able to sync all content to a Iphone, Ipod, and Ipad. I own a Ipod and from time to time I buy songs from the store, and the majority of my Itunes library is from my own personal collection. Artists are able to make royalties based on album purchases

Costs: Free to download for mac or windows, so if your like me, who stills like to physically own CDs, but like having a digital library then I highly recommend getting Itunes

Google Play: This is a Microsoft/Android based application, I currently own a android phone, I use Google play sometimes mainly for my phone ringtones. Factory ringtones for the phone are boring and annoying, I don't want to here wind chimes on every a call or notifications that comes through. So I connect my phone to windows media and tranfers certain songs that I like. Like Itunes, Google play has a store where songs can be purchased and will sync to phones, computers and tablets

Costs: Comes standard with most Android devices,  you can use windows media to copy songs into  the library and then can sync songs to what device you choose. I use this when I don't have my Ipod with me, not a bad choice.

Sidebar:I know some of you are thinking why don't I just get a Iphone since I like Itunes so much. I may at some point join the click, but I am such a dork that I have to have a android.  I like apple for its editing software and mp3 players, I like just straight music on my Ipod, I dont want to text, call, watch youtube while I am listening to music, while I am listening I perfer not to exist to the outside world, just thought I throw that in there. 

 Pandora:  This is the online radio station where the listener is the DJ, You pick your favorite artist and based on the choice. Pandora will then select songs from that particular artist and similar artist and create a radio station, If you like Sting, then it will be sting radio or if you like 60s dance music that it will be the sixty dance station. I use to use pandora but then I realize I like to have direct control over my song selections and not have the app. I love Brandy music and least liked her human CD (some songs was cool but not my fave) Pandora may decide to throw in some songs from that LP and then I have to keep skipping until a find a song like.

I don't have time for that.

Costs:  There is a free version, it plays commercials ads in between songs and your only allowed to  do six songs skips. Paid version for current subscribers cost $3.99 and for new users $4.99, on these versions there no commercials and you can go through the stations as you please. Its okay and premium version is not bad in pricing if that what you like.

Spotify: When a sista is not able to spend few extra duckets on some CD's or purchase from Itunes store, I am on spotify. This service is allows you to create your own playlists, and if your connected to facebook it shows you what your friends are listening to and they can see what you are listening to. Playlist can be shared, your also able to listen to full albums from all genres of music and these albums can be added to a playlist. As far  streaming goes this is by far is my favorite music service along with Itunes.

Costs: The app is free to download to any phone, computer or tablet, there is a free version, for PC or laptop you can create a playlist play as many songs you like in any order, however there a commercials. For the phone you have to shuffle your songs in the  playlist. Premium is $9.99 no commercials plays any song with out a limit on the phone.


Tidal: Now here we have Tidal, as I type this post I am currently listening to music on Tidal, from what I see so far it seems. They also have videos behind the scenes footage, and the sound is Hi-Fi quality, I am listening through ear buds during this post. I will give a full review of the streaming service in the next post, so far I am not mad at it.

Costs: Your going to pay with this service, I am trying out the free trial (but they take two dollars from card, wack). You have choice of  $9.99 tidal premium which is standard quality or $19.99 Tidal Hi-Fi lossless quality, both also have HD videos. So far I have not been interupted by a comericial so I am guessing there is no comericials.

With that being said, from what I am understanding artists don't get to much loot from other streaming services. So with Tidal services artist will be getting a bigger percentage for providing their music catalogs to this service. I get where fans are not feeling this and I am not sticking up for Jay Z, however the music industry  is a business as much as we love to hear music for free ninety nine. At some point artist going to get money any way they can, whether they multi millionaires or indie artists some one will cash a check, believe that.

Well as Jay Z once said you can't knock the hustle.......

Video from Youtube off Jay Z Reasonable doubt album





Comments