The Tides Are Turning









 Images from Google and site hypetrak.com

2015 is shaping up to be the era of when rap and bullshit is dying, thank you Jesus. I am starting to see hope in the land of R&B and hip-hop. Mr. J.cole released a surprise album called 2014 Forest hills drive (his childhood home address). This album had no buzz or single, he announced the album three weeks before it was released. This current project is a refreshing taste of what is to come this year. J.Cole made this album for his damn self and I for one was not mad at him for it. 

Also  in the same month at the end of 2014 D'Angelo and his band the Vanguard released "Black Messiah" A grown up soulful album, with live instrumentation and endearing lyrics, stripped down sound. A very relaxing album to listen to this also gave me hope. Then at top of the year Ms. Jazmine Sullivan released her third album "Reality Show"  and true to form she never disappoints. If you don't own any of her albums please go get all three.  The songs fit with the title and overall theme of this album. 

Coming into 2015 those three albums so far is what I have been thoroughly enjoying and appreciate that they are sonically pleasing for the ears.

 And now we have Kendrick Lamar with bold new album, "To pimp a butterfly" the fact that he titled the album that is worth listening to. Mr. Lamar in my personal opinion just set a new standard in hip-hop  and that standard is lyrically say something and sonically take the sound somewhere different.

Let me just say I hope that there is an Instrumental and Accappella version of to TPAB, I love good kid, maad city and the narrative he told of a young man plight being from Compton CA. And now on this album I dig the narrative of how  he going through stages of a becoming a butterfly only to be pimped, that is just my theory.

This album is very introspective, interesting, insightful and most importantly unapologetic.And what caught me throughout this album is either in beginning of the song like  "These Walls "or at the end of some tracks like on "Alright" he giving a synopsis of his thoughts in his journey. And the same piece can be heard a few times while listening only to reveal that he is actually having discussion with the late rapper Tupac Shakur on the song "Mortal Man" 

Now I don't know about anyone else, but I had to repeat that a couple of times, it felt so real as if Tupac was still alive and was really sitting in the studio with Kendrick. Of course it was a old interview from 1994, however  the words of Kendrick and Pac words fit with now.  Tupac was ahead of his time and now we have Kendrick who is definitely ahead of his time. I am not saying Kendrick is the new Tupac, What I am saying is that he is the new Kendrick Lamar he is on his own page.

I love music and that will never change, I may talk about the good old days of  old school music, it not that I want to relive that era. It's just that I miss the passion and energy of music from yesterday, when musicians, writers, singers, arrangers, would come together and make a cohesive album. When music served something different, that all I am saying I want to hear the beauty of what music is and create those feelings of living in a  musical opus

That all a sista ask for I don't ask for much in this life, Just some good music, some good food and cute guy to kick it with.



Comments