Skip to main content

It was all a dream: Ready to Die turns twenty





"As we proceed to give you what you need" - Intro to Who shot ya-- Puffy Daddy aka Diddy


September 13th1994: Ready To Die drops in stores.......

If you're a regular reader of this blog then you should already know how I feel about the year 1994 when it comes to music. I am at that age where I sit back and reflect on how music of  my youth played a role in my coming of age.  September 13th 1994 at the time new rap artist Biggie smalls aka Notorious B.I.G released his debut album "Ready to Die" The narrative of new york street life with a score, well that is how is viewed it. That summer "Juicy" was blowing up (90's slang) all over the radio and TV stations; couldn't not get away from that song no matter how hard I tried, but I loved it.

Many hip hop fans will give you different accounts on why they feel this is a classic rap album, well here is my two cents. West coast hip hop was a dominating force in the culture in the early nineties of course the genre started in the east but they brought it to the west, with the help of N.W.A, Ice T, Too Short, M.C. Eiht. and of course the late great Tupac Shakur (more on him later).  in 1992 when Death row rose at the record label of the west and Dr. Dre drop the chronic album featuring up and coming rapper Snoop Dogg.

Hip hop was being owned by the West without a doubt, every song off the chronic was killing the charts, then later on Snoop releases doggy style. It was all said and done well that what some of us thought. In 1993 East coast was still making noise with groups like Onyx, Gang Starr, Das FX, Black moon and De La Soul was hot. But notable artist new and old was making waves such as A tribe called quest with their third album "Midnight Marauders" and new group Wu Tang Clan "Enter the Wu" was causing damage in a great way bring the game of chess back to the East.

I am getting to the point follow me....

94 rolls around new rapper Nas comes out with Illmatic (I heart that album) Summer 1994 a heavy guy standing on a stoop in Brooklyn explaining his dedication of his song to those that doubted him said he would never make it and then the beat drops "It was all a dream I use read word up magazine"......and the rest was history.

Ready to die brought the flag back over to the east coast, I love the west lords knows I play Warren G first  album to death to this day. But this album was clever, interesting, insightful, fun, scary, mean, ignorant, Listen to the line from "Me and my Bitch: "Moonlight strolls with the hoes, on I want a bitch that play cee lo and craps. I mean that is just downright awful if you think about it,  but the delivery and wording, you can't really be mad and that is the gift and curse of being a female who listen to rap music.

And that how the whole album plays out witty word play and punch lines, "Warning: Its gone be some sad singing and some flower bringing if my burglar alarm starts ringing" cold calculating menacing songs. Then  there is my favorite "Unbelievable:
Dumb rappers need teaching
Lesson A - don't fuck with B-I, that's that

Oh I, thought he was wack, oh come come now
Why y'all so dumb now, hunt me or be hunted
I got three hundred and fifty-seven ways
To simmer saute, I'm the winner all day

Lights get dimmer down Biggie's hallway
My forte causes Caucasians to say
He sounds demented, car weed scented

If I said it, I meant it
Bite my tongue for no one
Call me evil or unbelievable


Ready to die was on of those hip hop albums or in my time cassette tapes where a lot of rewinding was going on because Biggie would say a Verse so crazy that it would go over my head so I had to play it back and now that I am grown I still have my whoa moments with this album.

Biggie was definitely taken over the charts as 1994 went on Tupac was shot at quad studios and later after he went to prison informed in a article with Vibe magazine that Biggie was apart of shooting that took place and we all know the rest that happened.

To me that unfortunate situation with the East vs West coast beef overshadowed what was one of the best albums of that decade. Two years later on the date of Ready to die second album anniversary Tupac dies in las Vegas hospital after being shot on September 7th. Seven months later Biggie aka Christopher Wallace Is killed on March 9th 1997 two days shy of my sixteenth birthday.

September 13th was happy day in 1994 and a sad  day in 1996 but none the less two years that would forever change hip hop history


Ready To Die......Christopher Wallace you was definitely ready to live......R.I.P Notorious B.I.G 1972-1997


Image from google, lyrics from www.rapgenius.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Red Album: Aaliyah Last Album Turns Fifteen

Image Source Google- Aaliyah album cover
Pre 911 July 2001 I was twenty years old and boy that was an interesting year, to say the least. And as always  my summer tradition I made my trip to the local record store. During this month one of my all time favorite artist was releasing their third album which went to become a forever favorite of mine and is on my lifetime music playlist
On July 17th 2001, Aaliyah released her third and final self titled "Aaliyah" after a five year full album hiatus from her second album one in a million. At the time she had finally released a full album, of course to hold the fans over. We had the singles from the movie soundtracks  such as 1998 Doctor Do Little  SDTK "Are You That Somebody?"  and in 2000 Romeo Must Die SDTK, "Try Again, I Don't Wanna, Come Back In One Piece and are you Feeling Me?.
It was an exciting time for Aaliyah it was a year after a successful movie and soundtrack, she had entered into legal adulthood She w…

What's Going On?

Google Images: Devastation from Bomb Attack in Mogadishu, Somalia

I may talk about music and culture, It is my way to ease the pain with all the things I see going on in this world. But it is too much to ignore, last weekend there was bomb explosion in Mogadishu, Somalia. As of right now it has been reported that 300 lives has been lost due the terrorist attack.

I do my best to keep up with what is going on, whether it's in pop culture, local or national news. And with this recent terrorist attack. The one thing I don't see flooding up and down my time lines on my social media feed. Is  #PrayForSomalia, that is something that is very scarce across the feeds. But I bet your bottom dollar I can see the endless memes of bitches not being shit and its numerous likes.

That goes without fail, I posted a few links about this horrific incident and all I have heard is crickets. If I posted a joke and made fun of reality star. It would have been likes and comments galore. I am not tell…

1997 Part II

Google Images: Micheal S. Smith Photography, Seneca Vocational H.S.
I was sixteen years old in 1997, music was life back then for me, and in that year I needed it more then ever, My freshmen year of high school was 1996 - 1997 and during that school year I was at a school I did not want to be at. In the city of Buffalo at that time, during 8th grade year students had to pick the top choices of the high school they wanted to go to. It was all based on grades during 7th grade year and first grade quarter of 8th grade.

Math was my weakest subject, and the schools that I chose at the time a student had to excel well in the area of math. And me not being on my A game it caused me to loose out on all of my choices of the schools I wanted to attend. So in fall of 1996 I was at my district school. While all my Jr. high friends was at the school of their choices living the high life.

I had to make a daily trip to south Buffalo, a place I did not want to be, what kept me calm to and from schoo…