Slow it down: bring back the ballads

 I am a thirty something music lover  (Self proclaimed music nerd) as I get older I have noticed over the years my taste in music has been gearing towards older music of the past. I will forever and always love music from the 80’s and 90’s but now I also listen to music from the 60’s and 70’s as well. I don’t feel I am too told old for current popular music is just that a lot of today's music is absolutely terrible, I am just being honest.

I am speaking of all genres of music as well, I have the cable channels MTV jams, MTV Hits. And on the hits and jams stations I see the same artists and the same videos played all the time, and the same type of songs with the same type of production. It is very annoying,  catchy hooks and stupid anthems is what the current sound of music is today; I don’t even bother with radio in my current city because the songs on rotation at these stations suck, thank God for the invention of the IPod because without it I would be suffering in music hell like a lot of people without that fancy gadget.

So I know you probably wondering what is the point of this post? Well I am glad you ask, the point of this post is to talk about Ballads. That is what is missing from today radio and video formats is ballads , slow songs, music where you actually have to sit down and listen to the words, I know that we are living in a time where information is rapidly fed to us in the form of social media and the internet which causes the attention span to be even shorter. Therefore meaning  a lot of songs will only have a hook and stupid line in most songs because the average listener cannot no digest a complete song.

A ballad is what defined a lot of artists careers from the Bee Gees to Mariah Carey, sometimes it nice to  hear song actually with something to say whether it is about a bad break up or being socially aware like  Marvin Gaye “What’s going on”. The way of the music industry today is quantity or quality which is sad and unfortunate. My favorite song of all time is Mariah Carey “Can’t let go” I have been asked many times what is about the song that I love, well that voice, the lyrics, the arrangement, the piano. It puts me in a good place when I hear it and its good for my soul.

And that is what I love about ballads sometimes in this crazy world we live in, sometimes we need to slow things down take time and listen. On my IPod I have a playlist dedicated to slow songs, I don’t always want to hear repetitive songs saying the same thing over and over again and I am not always in the mood for fast up tempo music as well. And that is also another reason why I am not with the current format of radio stations, there is no balance of what is being played.

Song structure is key to a good song, and sometimes a ballad would showcase and artist lyrical and vocal ability and brought out the passion. In 2014 some may say well a ballad would not fit with these generations of artist, well that may be true for some. The capability is there the problem is producers, execs are afraid to take a chance with a familiar formula and bring to the masses.

Comments