The World is yours.....



illmatic

 Sip the Dom P, watchin Gandhi til I'm charged
Then writin in my book of rhymes, all the words pass the margin
To hold the mic I'm throbbin, mechanical movement
Understandable smooth shit that murderers move wit
The thief's theme, play me at night, they won't act right
The fiend of hip-hop has got me stuck like a crack pipe
The mind activation, react like I'm facin time like
'Pappy' Mason with pens I'm embracin
Wipe the sweat off my dome, spit the phlegm on the streets
Suede Timb's on my feets, makes my cypher, complete
Whether crusin in a Sikh's cab, or Montero Jeep
I can't call it, the beats make me fallin asleep
I keep fallin, but never fallin six feet deep
I'm out for presidents to represent me (Say what?)
I'm out for presidents to represent me (Say what?)
I'm out for dead presidents to represent me

The World is Yours~1994 (Illmatic)

April 19th 1994: during that time I was a sixth grader attending Build Academy grade school, most young girls was into chasing boys, gossiping on the phone late at night, worrying about if there shoes match their purse. Then there is me a shy thirteen year old who carried the latest issues of the source, right on! fresh and word up magazines in my back pack. At that time cassettes was still in style so I always had the latest cassette and I always had my walk man, and nine times out of ten Jodeci~Diary of a mad band was in the deck. I loved rnb and I loved hip hop as well, I was digging A tribe called quest and the pharcyde.  But then one day my brother was playing this tape and the sound coming from the stereo caught my ear, it was a piano sound and a man with monotone voice singing this hook "Whose world is this?" followed by a more rugged voice "The world is yours, the world is yours". So I ask what is this and who is this?  my brother replied this is Nas, he is new and he played more songs off the tape, I was liking what I was hearing. A few weeks later I seen the video for the "The world is yours" it was this black n white and in the shape of  a globe, So i got a chance to get a look at the boy name Nas, easy on the eyes had a nice style so I became more curious. When my brother would leave for school I would sneak into his room and take his tape put it in my Walkman and then leave for school. And over those next couple of days the love affair began I was forever a Nas fan.  Illmatic is one of those albums that always can be played from beginning to end with no interruptions and these days that is very rare in today's music. Every time I listen to this album It takes me back to that time period when sitting in my room with The Jodeci Poster behind my head my feet kicked up and crossed on the bed I am flipping through a magazine bobbing my with my head phones listening to Nas. I may get nostalgic but i can't help it today Hip hop artist really dont have their own sound anymore. It's amazing that this album is nineteen years old, and in those nineteen years this album has been apart of my life soundtrack. So Thank you Mr. Nasir Jones for making one of the most influential albums off all time.

Comments